Intrusion detection reviews for network security
Your Internet network security policies-Time for a rewrite
Honeypot intrusion detection techniques-The Trojans trap the Greeks
McAfee Firewall reviews
Norton personal firewall reviews
Sygate Personal firewall reviews
Why use personal firewalls?The basics
Wireless LAN security- what you need to know before buying wireless LAN routers or wireless lan cardsSponsored Links
What is a wireless LAN and why is Wireless LAN security so important
Wireless Lans are often esoterically referred to as 802.11 local area anetwork technology or simply wlans or Wi-Fi. For the unitiated, all that this means is using wireless lans you can connect to any network including the internet.
Whats so great about Wireless LANs and why are wireless lan security
Wireless LANs allow you to have a single internet or network connection in your home or office area and access it using without the bother of cabling wires- so that you can roam about the house/office area and still access the network. Thats why wireless lan security is so important
The wireless LAN security problem.
- War driving : Wireless LAN's biggest vulnerability is the whole concept. Any person with a laptop and a wireless LAN access card can roam around any city of the world and can detect and possibly access your wireless network
- Denial of service of wireless LANs: Some malicious hacker floods the wireless Lan system with requests leading to the inability to serve further requests and regular users.
- Spoofing in wireless lans: A malicious user can assume the identity of a valid user of a wireless lan and get access to privileged corporate or personal data
Some ways to reduce the severity of the wireless LAN security problem
The first point is to recognize that wireless LAN security problems are here to stay until a new technology comes along. The existing 802.11 wireless technologies are severely vulnerable to wireless LAN security issues
Some options to reduce the wireless lan security risk
- Use WEP for wireless LAN security
This WEP (wireless encryption protocol ) provides for user and data encryption to safeguard the privileged data from being exploited by hackers of wireless lans. But WEP is not a fool-proof protocol solution for wireless lan security and does not offer adequate protection to wireless lans since it can be easily manipulated
- Use VPN for wireless LAN security
This is an really practical solution at least for corporate wireless networks- Most companies have already invested in VPN network infrastructure- The corporate security policy should mandate use of VPN while accessing a wireless LAN so that potential security risks in using wireless lans are plugged and wireless lan security is assured to some extentWireless LAN security products
Airdefence is a wireless LAN security intrusion detection system that detects unauthorized access to the wireless lan systems